Friday, January 23, 2009

Now can we cuddle?

For the past couple of days we have had a sick little Kadan. He came home on Wednesday after school, unpacked and not even 10 minutes later, this is what I found. At the time I thought he was so cute I took a picture and sent it to his teacher via e-mail entitled "Hard day at the office". She replied saying that yes, her little JK's and SK's had worked very hard that day. By the time Thursday came I realized the hard work wasn't all to blame. His temperature was high, but he was shivering therefore he was either snuggled on the couch with 2 or 3 blankets or in our bed sleeping. Today, (Friday) he wasn't much better, so he took a sick day from school and did pretty much the same thing as yesterday. I, being Suzy homemaker, tried for the first time, making manicotti. It's quite complicated actually. It took much longer than I had anticipated, and while I was busy creating and making, our little sick one asked I'm sure 20 times, "Now can we cuddle?". Every time I would quickly respond with "as soon as I'm finished sweetheart, as soon as I'm finished". After a few responses and a sad little boy, I received this gut wrenching feeling. My first thought; Martha and Mary. Martha was very distracted preparing for Jesus, whereas Mary, her sister, whom Martha was jealous of, spent time with Jesus not worried about the preparations. I am SUCH a Martha! I had preparations that needed to be done! Manicotti! I fought with my task oriented nature and decided that at that moment both God and Kadan needed a Mary attitude. So I stopped and had a cuddle. This is a bit ironic as I am struggling with my decision of going back to work. I'm finding out that time FLIES! Our children are only children once and as a good friend shared the other week, time is fleeting. Oh how I want to capture every moment and not be side tracked to miss these opportune cuddle moments! So here we sit, having a cuddle. Just the perfect medicine for both my sick little Kadan and my Martha attitude!

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Ah yes...a precious cuddle. What a smart boy to know that a hug is healing! How did the manicotti turn out?

Monica said...

Lor, if you do decide to stay home in the end while your little people are little, you'll be in good company! I can tell you story after story about how I thought that this choice was impossible for us, but since we followed His leading on this, God has provided for us in beautiful ways again and again.

Alternately, if you sense a leading to return to teaching, we stay-at-home mommies will be behind you! What's most important is that you follow where God leads. I'll pray for wisdom and peace for you and Ryan to be convinced, either way. Lots of love!

Glynis said...

Dear "Mary." Good Choice! I was a Martha far too many times in my life and guess what? There is no turning back the clock. I like Monica's comment about how God provides in ways unimaginable but also, if your decision is to return to the classroom (where many other children will be blessed having you as a teacher) then there are many behind you! God will show you and Ryan direction. Keep praying and on the odd occasion, it is okay to lay out a fleece or two! Precious and few are the moments. Blessings and long distance hugs! x

Karen Weber said...

Very wise woman! I need some Mary attitude as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

heidi said...

Lori,

In my devotions this morning I was reading about Martha's encounter with Jesus, and I immediatly thought of the struggle to balance what is needful in our lives as mothers: being home for our children or going out for our careers. Your blog really hit home for me (and, of course, made me cry again). We will be thinking about you as you and Ryan work through the needs of your family and finances and decide where to invest in the future. It really is hard to imagine any career more rewarding than motherhood, isn't it?

Oh, and thank you all SO MUCH for celebrating Jude's birthday with us on Sunday. We were so blessed to have you there (my mother didn't want the twins to leave!). It was great to celebrate the lives of our children together.